Paço Imperial was inaugurated in 1743 as the new Government House, after five years of construction. Since the arrival of the Portuguese royal family to Brazil in 1808, the building became “Paço Real”. In 1822, with Brazil's independence, the building is renamed as “Paço Imperial”, name which still remains the same till today. Soon after the proclamation of the Republic, in 1889, the palace is occupied by the “Agência Central dos Correios e Telégrafos”. In the late 30's, the building was declared part of historic heritage. Four decades later, in 1980, “Paço Imperial” was restored by the IPHAN. Currently, it houses a cultural center, plus a library of art and architecture, a bookshop and a restaurant.