Sunday, 24 July 2011

La Tour Eifel

The Tower, which was built by the engineer Gustave Eiffel for the Universal Exhibition of 1889, comprises three floors and is 317 metres high. On top are radio and television transmitters serving Paris. The lift machinery located below ground level in the west and east pillars was installed in 1899, and is strangely reminiscent of the imaginary world of Jules Verne.

1st floor: 57 metres
Observatory logging the movements of the top of the Tower.
The “Feroscope” provides details of the Tower's construction and protective paintwork.
The Cineiffel space affords exceptional views of the Eiffel Tower.
Souvenir shops.
The “Altitude 95” restaurant - Tel.: +33(0)1 45 55 20 04 - Fax: +33(0)1 47 05 94 40
The post office, for that special “Paris Tour Eiffel” postmark.
Viewing tables showing various Paris sights.
The Gustave Eiffel room for
Receptions and conferences.
Panoramic view of Paris.
Reservations: +33(0)1 44 11 23 33.
2nd floor: 115 metres
Panoramic views of Paris.
Telescopes and shops.
Animated displays explaining the workings of the lifts.
The Jules Verne restaurant - Tel.: +33(0)1 45 55 61 44
3rd floor: 276 metres
Exceptional daytime and night-time panoramic views of Paris and the surrounding area.
Reconstitution of Thomas Edison speaking with Gustave Eiffel in his office.
Viewing and orientation tables.
Dioramas presenting the history of the 3rd floor. 


Saturday, 16 July 2011

Palácio Gustavo Capanema

The Palácio Gustavo Capanema is a public building where the Ministério de Educação e Cultura (MEC) is located. The construction is an example for the modern Brazillian architecture and it was created by a group of architects that included Oscar Niemeyer, Lucio Costa and Affonso Eduardo Reidy. The consultant was the swiss Le Corbusier. The 16 floor high building is on top of a series of slender columns on the ground floor and its garden terrace was created by Roberto Burle Marx.

Learn more:

- The palace, constructed on an area of 27 thousand square meters, was inaugurated in 1947 and took nine years to finish;

- The decoration of the external revestment is made of tiles of the artist Cândido Portinari;
- You can also find works of Guignard and sculptures of Giorgi;
- The Palácio Gustavo Capanema will be the headquarter of the 2016 Olympic Games Organization Committee.

Sunday, 10 July 2011

Quinta da Boa Vista

Quinta da Boa Vista is a public park located in the neighbourhood of São Cristóvão, north zone of the city of Rio de Janeiro. Its main attractions are Jardim Zoológico do Rio de Janeiro (Fundação RioZoo), the Museu do Primeiro Reinado and the Museu Nacional, administrated by Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ).

Learn more:

- The zoo is located in a area of 138.000 square meters and it is the oldest of Brazil;

- The neoclassic style palace of the Paço Imperial de São Cristóvão, home of the Museu Nacional, used to be the residence of the imperial Brazilian family in the 19th century;
- The Museu Nacional is the biggest museum of anthropology and natural history in Latin America;
- The Museu do Primeiro Reinado is in the Palacete do Caminho Novo and is dedicated to the period of D. Pedro I's government.
- The small palace was the residence of Marquesa de Santos, the lover of D. Pedro.
- Both museums are national heritage by the IPHAN (Instituto do Patrimônio Histórico e Artístico Nacional).