Wednesday, 7 March 2012

The Ravensbrück Concentration Camp

The Ravensbrück Concentration Camp, built starting in November 1938 close to the small town of Fürstenberg/Havel, was the only large concentration camp on German soil which was designed as a “protective custody camp” for women. Between 1939 and 1945, 132,000 women, 20,000 men and 1,000 young women from the ”Youth Protection Camp Uckermark” were registered as prisoners. The prisoners came from over 40 countries; there were also many Jews as well as Sinti and Roma among them. Tens of thousands were murdered or died from hunger, illness or medical experimentation. After the Red Army liberated the camp on April 30th, 1945, the land was used by them for military purposes until 1994. The Ravensbrück Memorial Site, opened outside of the historical camp walls in 1959, has been a part of the Brandenburg Memorial Foundation since 1993.
The Ravensbrück Memorial Site, which has been expanded to include extensive parts of the historical concentration camp complex, nowadays combines remembrance, research and historical-political educational work. The Ravensbrück International Youth Exchange Site with an affiliated youth hostel was opened in 2002. The educational services office organizes events lasting over a period of several days. In addition, tours and project days are offered. Since 2007, the tour has begun and ended in the new Visitor’s Centre.
New exhibitions about the wardens and SS officers in the Ravensbrück Concentration Camp can be seen in one of the former warden's houses and in a former commander's living quarters. There is an exhibition in a former cell-block which gives information about the camp prison. In 2013, a new main exhibition will be put on display in the former commander's offices, after the renovation work begun in 2011 is complete. During the construction work, the exhibition ”Ravensbrück: Biografien - Themen - Kalendertage” (”Ravensbrück: Biographies, Themes, Days”) provides information about the history of the Ravensbrück Concentration Camp.


Mahn- und Gedenkstätte Ravensbrück (Ravensbrück Memorial Site)

Straße der Nationen  16798 Fürstenberg/Havel 

Regional train: RE 5 from Berlin Central Station to Fürstenberg/Havel train station and then around a 3 km walk to the Ravensbrück Memorial
Opening Hours: Tues-Sun 9-5pm (last entry: 4:30pm)
The Memorial Site is accessible from 8-6pm, and in the summer (May 1st-September 30th) until 8pm.
Admission: Free entry

No comments:

Post a Comment